A Wisconsin mental health complex has come under fire after a suit was filed against the facility, staff members and Wisconsin County Mutual insurance. The wrongful death suit claims that a 62-year-old man died at the facility after choking on a sandwich. According to reports, the man had been a patient of at the facility since 1998 and died after eating the sandwich in June 2011. The man had reportedly been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenic anti-social personality disorder and had choked on food multiple times in the past. Because of this, staff members were supposed to monitor the man during meals, and he was also prohibited from eating bread. According to reports, the man got a sandwich out of the trash and started choking when he ate it. The suit claims that the staff did not respond quickly enough because the closest phone was not in working order. The plaintiffs also allege that responders were not given the man's correct location, further delaying treatment.
Continue reading Family files wrongful death suit against Wisconsin facility
Comments: Leave a comment